Strawberry Shortcake is the eponymous protagonist of the Strawberry Shortcake franchise. She is said to be the "unofficial princess" of 'Strawberryland' and is often seen wearing a pink hat with strawberries printed on it. In the 1980 version of the franchise, she lives in a shortcake, while in the 2003 version, she lives in a strawberry.
She shares her berry bungalow with her sister Apple Dumplin' (note that in the 1980 rendition strawberry was an only child and Apple Dumplin' was just one of her friends. Later in the 2009 version Strawberry calls Apple her cousin).Her persnickety cat Custard, and her mischievous dog named Pupcake (In the 1980 rendition, Pupcake was owned by Huckleberry Pie, but in the present version, he is Strawberry's pet) And her filly Honey Pie Pony was her pet in the 2003 series. Many of Strawberry Shortcake’s days are spent in the simple pleasures of tending Strawberry berry vines. Strawberry also likes to spend time with her friends, so she frequently visits nearby lands. Strawberry is always cheerful and is ready for helping her friends at any time. In the 1980s rendition, Strawberry was said to be six years old. Her current age is never explicitly stated, but she is implied to be teenaged/young adult aged in her most recent incarnations (e.g., in Year 4 of the 2003 version, Strawberry is able to drive a car and in the 2009 version, she owns a shop called the Berry Café). Strawberry Shortcake is voiced by Russi Taylor (1980s), Sarah Heinke (2003-2008), and Anna Cummer (2009-present).
- Strawberry is a bright and energetic little girl. She is kind, resourceful and always ready to help a friend in need. She loves strawberrys.
- Strawberry Shortcake is a tomboy in this incarnation, which is implied by her outfit style and her being good at sports. She also likes gardening, which is why there are a lot of strawberries with large size around her house. She loves her sister and never fails to share equal love towards both her pets. Whenever there is a large event in Strawberryland, you can bet that Strawberry Shortcake was the one who had the idea. Despair almost never appears in her dictionary, and when it does, it doesn't take long for her to regain her optimism.She likes singing and dancing, and she always does both whenever she has the chance. She is also a smart girl who can quickly find the right solution whenever a problem arises. She's also curious, eager to try something new, go to a place completely new for her, and make friends with a complete stranger. By the time of Year 4 period, her personality has matured, which is implied by her taking a part time job and considering what her future career will be.
- Strawberry loves hanging out with her friends in Berry Bitty City. Whenever she runs her Berry Café, she's always willing to lend a helping hand or go on an adventure. Her optimism is contagious and she always sees big possibilities in everything!
- She is a good dancer.
- She is intelligent.
- She is a good actress.
- ("The Play's the Thing") ("Hooray for Berrywood!") ("Lights...Camera...")
- She is a good cook.
- ("Piece of Cake")
- She is a good leader.
- ("Queen for a Day")
- She is a good friend.
The characters of the Strawberry Shortcake franchise have undergone several design changes. Strawberry's original 1980 apperance was altered drastically in 2003. It changed again in Year 4 of the DIC series' run and in 2009 with the Berry Bitty City arc.
- Strawberry resembles a rag doll. She wears a bonnet with strawberry prints on it. Her hair is naturally red and short. She wears a red maid dress with three green diamonds on the white cloth and kisses running down the cloth. She wears white and green striped leggings and white doily pants. Her hands are fingerless and she wears brown shoes.
- Strawberry's appearance is that of a human. She has very scruffy red-orange hair. She now wears a white shirt with red stripes (which appear dark red in Year 3). with a pair of blue jeans. A red jumper is tied to her waist. Her muffin-esque bonnet has been replaced with a pink sun hat with strawberry prints and a red hat band with a strawberry clip on a green and white striped bow. She wears brown sneakers.
- Strawberry wears a pink and white striped hoodie with a hot pink T-shirt underneath. She still wears jeans. She has long, shoulder-length red hair. Her hat design has not changed, but the hat band now matches the bow's color. Her shoes are formal, pink girl shoes.
- Strawberry's hat is replaced with a cap that resembles a strawberry, a green platform and button. She has very long flowing, magenta pink hair with very curly strands hanging lose above her curved strands going down to her waist. She wears a dress which is color halved (the top is white with green diamonds with a strawberry between; whereas the bottom half is pink with red polka-dots.Her leggings are white and green striped. She wears shoes similar to the shoes worn in Year 4.